Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Soap Making Class Coming Soon!




The latest batch of soap with alkanet root for coloring came out beautifully! I infused lavender flowers in olive oil to preserve the properties and capture the scent and added a cup of infused alkanet root for a deep purple color. I prefer the cold method of infusion and added two tablespoons of alkanet root to a cup of olive oil and let it infuse for three weeks. Despite a lot of shaking and stirring of the infusion, the alkanet root remained in a pastelike form at the bottom of the glass container so I used cheesecloth to strain it out. Just after pouring the soap into the molds, I sprinkled more lavender flowers on the top for texture and scent. I am very happy with how the finished product looks and smells.

I have already been putting the other soaps to work. After curring for three weeks, they demonstrated a satisfying, rich, foamy lather. The calendula and oatmeal soap was blended with a mixture of essential oils that survived the saponification process and is a wonderful pick-me-up in the morning.

I'm very excited for the soap making class to be held Wednesday, January 30th from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the Greenfield Community Center, Room B. To see more details on that class and other classes coming up, go to my website Resiliencytraining.net. We'll be making a couple batches of soap so that everyone can bring some home! It is a wonderful feeling to have created enough soap to last easily for a year or more. What started out as a way of becoming more self-reliant in creating my own line of hygienic and first aid supplies has turned into a passion for the process itself. It is easy to become addicted to the soap making process!

No comments:

Post a Comment